[Sca-cooks] large birds for feasts

Daniel And elizabeth phelps dephelps at embarqmail.com
Thu Mar 3 14:28:38 PST 2011

But turkeys were brought back from the new world and introduced into Europe such that in certain areas they were not "strange" after 1550 or so.  Thus if you hold a feast in that time period set perhaps in either England or Spain I suggest that stating that it is "that new world bird called the turkey cooked in the style of the bustard" would work.  The problem as I see it with this is that what they had as a turkey is not the farmed turkey of today.  What they had is much closer to the wild turkey of North America albeit slightly domesticated.  Such is a different problem which perhaps might be partially solved by buying free range birds?

Daniel