[Sca-cooks] Intent or Interpretation

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Fri Mar 4 04:39:44 PST 2011

What is the dish being created for in today's world? An entry for a
Strict Arts and Sciences Fair? An entry for a 100 % authentic feast? A
potluck where a number of people
are vegan and would greatly enjoy it?

Would it be 100% authentic if changed to use a vegan approved oil? Of
course not!
But on the same note it might be perfectly appropriate to change to an
acceptable oil
so as to create a dish suitable for a wider modern audience which
includes a number of people who are diet conscious.
(If it's a problem of frying with lard, you may find that expense
dictates that you'll fry in oil anyway due to the expense and trouble
of finding a local source for lard. It's not as common as it once was.)

You could of course make two versions also. Make one with animal fat
and one with a modern oil.

Johnnae