[Sca-cooks] lard

Alexander Clark alexbclark at pennswoods.net
Fri Mar 4 16:45:30 PST 2011

On Fri, 4 Mar 2011 12:28:51 -0600, Stefan li Rous
<StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> wrote:
> Johnnae said:
> <<< (If it's a problem of frying with lard, you may find that expense
> dictates that you'll fry in oil anyway due to the expense and trouble
> of finding a local source for lard. It's not as common as it once was.) >>>
>
> Oh? I don't think I've ever had reason to buy it, but I've often seen it
> among the various cooking oils and Crisco and such. I'd assumed that it was
> a common item available in most grocery stores.
>
> Is this not true where the rest of you live? Perhaps it is more common here
> because of our high numbers of Hispanics and Mexican cooking.

Where I live in central PA, you can reliably find white rendered lard
(good for general frying purposes) in supermarkets. What's harder to
find is raw lard, unless you accept pork products cured with sodium
nitrate and sodium nitrite. When I was shopping for this a month ago,
the best choices I found were a smoked, seasoned, but uncured bacon,
and some plain "side meat" that looked kind of lean to be used for
lard.

--
Henry/Alex