[Sca-cooks] more lentils, think we have a keeper

Robin Carroll-Mann rcarrollmann at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 10:39:48 PST 2011

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 12:39 PM, Cat . <tgrcat2001 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Brighid or Juana Isabella, do you have the original?  Can you tell
> what spices maybe missing?

The original Spanish is in the Florilegium file.  Sorry, I forgot to
include the link in my previous message.
http://www.florilegium.org/?http%3A//www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-VEGETABLES/lentils-msg.html

The Spanish text just says "especias molidas" (ground spices).  Like
many other period recipes, it allows cooks to make their own choices.
Antoine's spice choices are consistent with the spice palette for
Spain in that era (1609 -- early 17th century), but other spice
combinations would be entirely reasonable.

I just wanted to make it clear that the unspecified spices are
ingredients separate from the parsley and mint.  Those would be
indentified as 'hierbas' (herbs).

Brighid ni Chiarain