[Sca-cooks] Preseindel

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sat Mar 19 19:33:39 PDT 2011

I've gone looking in my more modern but older Italian cookbooks and the
closest thing I can find to the recipe is Bistecca Nel Tergame, Pan Broiled
Steak, and it's not that close.  The recipe for Preseindel is actually
closer to the recipe for steak from Two Fifteenth Century Cookbooks (IIRC).

That being said, there is a note in the Phillips translation of Pellegrino
Artusi's The Art of Eating Well, "In Artusi's day pharmacists used
"presine," which were one inch square wafers to dispense liquid medicines."
It is possible that the the word is being used to refer to wafers of meat in
an Italian recipe.  However, locating that precise usage may be a problem
and is best attacked by a student of the language.

Bear