[Sca-cooks] OOP any recipes? oyster

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Mar 19 22:30:18 PDT 2011

Ranvaig gave a Rumpolt oyster recipe as:
<<< Fried oysters sprinkled with flour/ and fried in a butter/ dress
them on a dish/ pour sour lemon juice over it/ and give warm on a
table/ when you will fry them/ then pepper and salt them.

I think I have a couple of cans of oysters that I need to find a dish for, and this sounds easy and doable.

My first thought is to "dredge" the oysters in the flour so they are totally coated in flour. To me, "sprinkled" is just a sprinkling of flour across the top of the oysters. Nowhere near as much flour. Is the German that specific?  Or does "sprinkle" in English in recipes perhaps imply a greater amount of flour/salt/powder than I'm thinking it does?

Since the "pepper and salt them" is out-of-order in the recipe, does this mean to add salt and pepper after they are sprinkled with flour? Or is this saying to pepper and salt them after they are fried, but before serving them?

Since most (all?) of the fried oysters I've had were dredged in corn meal, this dish should be different from what I've had before.

Thanks,
  Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com