[Sca-cooks] A fun early period cooking tools class.

Michael Gunter dookgunthar at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 24 10:25:22 PDT 2011

At Gulf Wars this year I was only able to take one class but I thoroughly enjoyed it.
In the Early Period Life camp (which you MUST visit, it's amazing). I think it was taught
by Sir Morgan of Calontir but I could be mistaken on the name.
Anyway, every day he cooks over an open fire and demonstrated his tools and techniques.
Other than his very nice raised braizier (basically a convex bottom with a large ring welded
to make kind of a large bowl and then there were stakes at four corners attached to the
ring by chains) he kept everything he needed in a Viking style bench/chest.

His demonstration of his cooking implements was very educational and included kettles,
skewers, a grill, tension hooks, a basic spit system, a "Viking griddle pan", tongs and others.

After showing the implements he then showed the class how to make charcloth and then taught
how to make a fire using a flint and steel. I'm happy to say that for the first time in my life
I was able to make a fire with this technique. I've long wanted to learn but finally had the
chance.

The class was a lot of fun and now I'm jazzed to get my own firepit kit together.
Of course, that means that someday I'll have to actually be able to just hang out in camp
and play with fire instead of always running around doing everything else. But there is
hope.

Gunthar

Now to go find a nice metal box to make charcloth....