[Sca-cooks] Interesting discovery...

Ana Valdés agora158 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 10:12:32 PDT 2011

I was inspired of the talk and I am having a sandwich in multigrain Levain
bread with smoked ham, mozarella and a tapenade spread on it. it gives a
nice flavour to the mozarella.
Ana

On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 6:03 PM, Amy Cooper <amy.s.cooper at gmail.com> wrote:

> My favorite grilled cheese adds mayo as a spread, uses Black Diamond
> brand cheese slices, and adds ham. I also once had a deliciously
> different sandwich made with apple slices, caramelized onion, grainy
> mustard, and I think ham (it was at least 6 years ago now). Although
> if you consider a Reuben a grilled cheese variant, take out the
> Thousand Island dressing, and it is DEFINITELY my favorite
>
> Ilsebet
>
> On 3/26/11, Saint Phlip <phlip at 99main.com> wrote:
> > Was making up some grilled cheese sandwiches for me and Margali for
> > lunch yesterday, and discovered we were out of butter, so I made a
> > quick trip down to the local tiny grocery store, and lo and behold,
> > right there next to the butter, were quarts ands half gallons of raw
> > milk ;-) Went ahead and grabbed a quart, brought it home, and
> > discovered the dairy producing it is just a couple miles away from
> > here. Suspect there will finally be some real milk, with a sensible
> > butter fat content in my future, as well as fresh and maybe a couple
> > of aged cheeses ;-)
> >
> > And, speaking of cheeses, I've been experimenting with grilled cheese
> > sandwiches a bit, trying to improve the flavor. The classic, American
> > cheese on white bread is just so bland, but using straight cheddar
> > cheese means the cheese breaks down into basically oil and cheese
> > grit. Today's experiment was buttering the (multi grain) bread, laying
> > it in the pan, laying thin slices of a good cheddar, to just cover the
> > bread, then laying thin slices of Velveeta, same way, covering the
> > cheese with another slice of bread (buttered side up), frying until
> > brown, then flipping with a spatula.
> >
> > It came out very tasty- it had the lovely flavor of the sharp cheddar,
> > but the texture of the melted Velveeta (a bit of the texture of the
> > cheddar and the flavor of the Velveeta as well, but not annoyingly so)
> > and the strength of the multi grain bread to balance it all.
> >
> > Was thinking of doing some tomato soup next time, but then rethought.
> > I wonder how a nice spicy gazpacho would go with it?
> >
> > --
> > Saint Phlip
> >
> > So, you think your data is safe?
> >
> http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/01/23/schneier.google.hacking/index.html?hpt=T2
> >
> > Heat it up
> > Hit it hard
> > Repent as necessary.
> >
> > Priorities:
> >
> > It's the smith who makes the tools, not the tools which make the smith.
> >
> > .I never wanted to see anybody die, but there are a few obituary
> > notices I have read with pleasure. -Clarence Darrow

http://anavaldes.wordpress.com
http://passagenwerk.wordpress.com
http://caravia.stumbleupon.com
http://www.crusading.se
Gondolgatan 2 l tr
12832 Skarpnäck
Sweden
tel +468-943288
mobil 4670-3213370

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your
eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long
to return.
— Leonardo da Vinci