[Sca-cooks] Fasting for Lent

Kingstaste kingstaste at comcast.net
Thu Mar 10 04:57:31 PST 2011

LOL - Stefan, always with the questions!
One of my "others" was last year - I believe I started out giving up salt,
and then my life got "interesting" and I abandoned the fast and everything
that went along with it.  Since then I have dramatically reduced sodium in
my diet so it all worked out.
When I eliminated corn I did indeed look out for all of its derivatives - so
very hard to do!  First thing I put in my mouth of the first morning had BBQ
sauce on it, and sure enough - HFCS!  And yes, popcorn was among the first
things I ate at the end of that one!
For this year, sugar and corn syrup are both on the 'things to avoid' list.
Interestingly enough, the thing I keep running into in my house which is
stocked with natural and organic foods is Evaporated Cane Juice.  It was in
the GF pie shell I wanted to use last night, and in my Oatmeal box this
morning (I am opting for a GF pancake I made and froze last week that is
sweetened with honey).
In years past I have let myself have small indulgences on Sundays, although
that isn't as useful from a health standpoint.  We'll see how it goes.
Christianna