[Sca-cooks] medieval capirotada

Donna Green donnaegreen at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 10 11:35:36 PST 2011

> Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 21:17:39 -0600
> From: Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com>
> To: Cooks within the SCA <sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org>
> Subject: [Sca-cooks] medieval capirotada
>
> Brighid ni Chiarain said:
> <<< The medieval capirotada consists of layers of
> bread and roast fowl with a sauce on top.
> I don't see much relationship to an olla podrida.>>>
>
> Sounds like an interesting dish. Recipe? or better, a
> redaction?

>From Brighid's translation of Nola:

42. Almodrote (31) Which Is Capirotada (32)
Almodrote Que Es Capirotada
You shall take partridges and after they have been well-plucked, put them between the embers; and when they have been there for the space of a Paternoster (33), take them out and clean everything off them, and roast them, and baste them sufficiently with your bacon fat; and when they are roasted, cut them as if to make portions of them, and then grate good cheese of Aragon that is fine; and take two whole heads of garlic roasted between the embers and then peel them very well and cleanly, and grind them in a mortar; and then put the cheese in the mortar, and resume grinding it all together; and while you are grinding them, cast a good spoonful of lard into the mortar, with some egg yolks, and grind it all together; and when it is all well-ground, blend it with good mutton broth that is half cooled, because if it were very hot it would consume the cheese; and then make slices of bread and toast them, and scrape off the burnt parts, and then scald or soak
 these toasted slices of bread with good mutton broth in an earthenware bowl or a deep plate; and then take them out and put them on a large plate, all around, in this manner: a layer of bread slices, and another of partridges, and in this manner fill up the plate with a platform of bread slices and another of partridges; and when the plate is full, cast the almodrote on top of it all and then take melted lard and scatter it over the plate.

Juana Isabella
West