[Sca-cooks] mulled wine

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Thu Mar 17 16:36:09 PDT 2011

It's not quite the season (it was 70 degrees here today) but here's an
amusing
Q&A on Wassail since you asked.

Wassail. — Would you kindly give me the old recipe for wassail? I want
to revive it in my family this year, but want a good old English
recipe. Is it still made in Norfolk? Is their recipe the same as the
old? A. W. Taylor.
[The ingredients of the earlier Wassail Bowl, it would seem, were not
the same as those of a later period. In Wharton's Amjlia Sacra, i.
164, is a curious account of a visit of King Edgar to the Abbey of
Abingdon. It is there said that "the king was glad, and commanded that
hydromel [metheglin] should be abundantly supplied for

[ * His Ecclesiastical HistoryEpitomiz'd, 1682-3, is neither in the
Bodleian Library nor in that of the British Museum. The latter
contains a copy of another work by him, entitled, The Honour of
Chivalry, or the Famous and Delectable History of Don lielliunis of
Greece. Translated out of Italian. In Three Parts. London, 4to, 1683.
The preface to second and third parts is signed J. Shurley.]

[t Nisbet (voL i. p. 263) states that "the most exsctest copy he had
seen of James Pont's MS. Collections of the Blazons of the Nobilitv
and Gentry in Scotland in the year 1624, was in the House of Seton,
where he died."— Ed.]

the visitors to drink. What followed? The attendants iln-.v the liquor
all day in full sufficiency for the guests; but the liquor itself
could not be exhausted from the vessel, except a hnndbrcath, though
the Northanhimbri mode merry, and at night went home jolly!" Leaving
the miraculous part of the story out of the question, it appcnrs (says
Dr. Milner) that this w4s a true Wassailing bout, and that metheglin
was the beverage made use of on the occasion (Arducologia, xi. 421.)
The melheglin, or mend, is a fermented liquor, of some potency, made
from honey. Hence from a metheglin jollification of thirty days after
a wedding comes the expression so familiar to the friends of a newly-
married couple—the Honeymoon.

In later times, however, the composition of the Wassail Bowl was ale,
nutmeg, sugar, toast, and rousted crabs or apples, which has also
received the more comfortable name of Lamb's Wool. The contents of the
bowl are specified in the first verse of "The Wassaillera" Song,"
siill sung on New Year's Eve in Gloucestershire: —

"Wassail! Wassail 1 all over the town j
Our toast is white, our ale is brown;
Our bowl is made of maplin tree,
We be good fellows all—I drink to thee."

In that pleasant brochure. Cups and their Customs, p. 3G, occurs the
following receipt for the Wassail Bowl:—"Put into a quart of warm beer
one pound of raw sugar, on which grate a  nutmeg and some ginger; then
odd four glasses of sherry and two quarts more of beer, with three
slices of lemon; add some sugar, if required, and serve it with three
slices of toasted bread floating in it."]

This comes from the journal Notes and Queries, Third Series, Volume 4,
July-December 1863. Pages 499-500.

Johnnae