[Sca-cooks] Modernist Cuisine was Marcels new series

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sun Mar 20 09:59:09 PDT 2011

Actually the website
http://modernistcuisine.com
  is pretty amazing and is good to look at.

There are a huge number of press articles-
Wired, NYT, WSJ, Time, Scientific American, etc. that can be read
online.
I just googled "modernist cuisine" in Google news to see a good
selection of them.
http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/08/take-this-baby-out-for-a-drive/
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/09/dining/09modernist.html

It has recipes, but I suspect the real value will be in the
explanations of techniques.
I'm very interested in what they have to say about gelatins.
The photography and diagrams are supposed to be on the cutting edge.

(They cut things in half so you can see the processes in action.)
Lots of sous-vide cooking according to John Lanchester who did the
article on it for the New Yorker.

http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/atlarge/2011/03/21/110321crat_atlarge_lanchester

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/backissues/2011/03/accidents-of-the-kitchen.html

The problem is that they did an initial publishing run of 6,000 and
those are promised now.
They say they also encountered problems at the bindery, so the initial
sets were delayed.
Amazon's pre-orders went from arriving in February to arriving now as
late as April. First come, first served!
  Everyone who orders now gets second printing copies maybe in June.
People who really want a set might consider buying their copies from
Kitchen Arts and Letters in NYC. They are discounting and including a
gift certificate. It weighs over 40 plus pounds so shipping costs are
a problem.

Hope this helps,

Johnnae