[Sca-cooks] Oat processing in the 16th century

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Tue Mar 22 03:40:39 PDT 2011

http://www.madehow.com/Volume-5/Oatmeal.html
This method for grinding oats was not revolutionary. It had been used
for centuries. Oats were hulled by passing them between two stone
wheels turning in opposite directions. The hulls and residue were
sifted out of the oat grains, which are known as groats. The groats
were crushed under a second set of millstones, producing a meal that
could be eaten after it       was cooked for three to four hours. But
there was still enough powdery residue in the groats that the cooked
oatmeal was pasty and lumpy.

  I'll see what I can dig up later in EEBO. I think there is a
description in Harrison.

Johnna