[Sca-cooks] History of the "stew" that is Chili

Michael Gunter dookgunthar at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 22 08:00:31 PDT 2011

> I live here, and I won't touch the stuff. ;-)

That's funny because Elizabeth and I love it.

> It really is more of a meat sauce than a stew. Surprisingly, it has a
> taste that is similar to a lot of medieval English meat dishes -
> probably due to the addition of cinnamon.

The real error is calling it "chili". It isn't and people get annoyed when
they think of it as such. It is rather like a spaghetti sauce but with sweet
spices such as cinnamon and has a chili bite. It definately isn't for everyone
but it is very good for what it is. Considering it was created by an immigrant
from Lebanon there is no surprise it has a Medievalish/Morroccan impression.

> It's typically served over pasta or on hot dogs.

We eat it over pasta and topped with cheddar cheese and she likes it with
raw onion. I'll have to try it over hot dogs sometime.

> - Doc

Gunthar