[Sca-cooks] Large Birds

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 16:04:47 PST 2011

Johnna wrote:
> . . . I don't personally think that one ought to list Bustard or Crane or Swan
> on a menu and then serve turkey or chicken. . .

When we were the overly honest preach like Johnna, I chuckle thinking of
the parody - "The Picara Justina." She is portrayed as 16th C innkeeper
from Mansilla de las Mulas, Leon Spain. She had her say:

'Take good care to greatly respect all that enters your home. Do not
tell the men to tow the line and that you conform to the merits of each.
For men have no pity for each has a rented mouth and they pay for it to
praise themselves. What you should honor are the things that cannot talk
and come back by themselves. Say if a dead cat comes to your house honor
it and say that it is a rabbit; call the roster a capon; a crow a
pigeon; a carp a small trout; a small trout a normal trout; a duck a
peacock. Never say that the fruit is from Mansilla, nearby villages or
the mountains but that it came from Brittany with the Goths. What is
from the village is not honor. For honor always look to the east. Now as
there are as many sponges as fleas in the jail, it doesn’t hurt to
baptize them. In the meson there are sinks for all.'

My translation.
It is thought that "The Picara Justina" was written by Friar Andres
Perez de Leon using the pseudonym of Francisco Lopez de Ubeda. It was
first published in 1606.
Suey