[Sca-cooks] Just back from France

Michael Gunter dookgunthar at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 1 10:39:23 PDT 2011

 > I'm digging that they offered him a job.

I'm sure it was mostly in jest about the butcher's job. But it was kind of cool.
They were impressed I knew how to debone a leg of lamb.

The job at Guedelin was pretty serious but it is mainly a volunteer thing and I can't take
three or six months off to go to France to play. It would be amazing if I won the lottery so
I could go play. They do everything as close to real as possible and they raise heritage animals
on the site. Although I'm pretty sure butchering the livestock goes a bit too far. Their kitchen
is pretty awful right now. It needs a proper designing.

> Were the cookery classes in French or English? There's a dream vacation
> for me.

The chef spoke English and he does a lot of these "team building" things where groups cook.
The class at Cordon Bleu had a French chef with a translator and a bunch of student assisntants
who didn't speak English. I managed to survive on my butchered French.
One thing I was very glad of in the Cordon Bleu class is they didn't dumb it down for the stupid
tourists. We had to do all the work ourselves, with some assistance from the students. We had
to break down the lamb, garniture the vegetables, make the stocks, peel the fruits, make the sauces,
etc....
Some of the techniques I hadn't known of before so I did learn a few things.

> Selene Colfox

Gunthar