[Sca-cooks] Is it US Honey?

Laureen Hart lhart at graycomputer.com
Thu Nov 10 09:26:18 PST 2011

OK, so they didn't find the pollen, the big manufactures have a better
ability to filter than your average farmer's market supplier.
Did they do any testing for the antibiotics, heavy metals, etc?
Lack of pollen doesn't immediately mean the product is tainted.
If the argument is that the products are tainted, why aren't they testing
for contaminants?
If a home Britta or Pure water filter can filter out heavy metals why would
the filters for the honey not be capable of filtering out the heavy metals?

Hopefully you have good Farmer's Markets, some have come under scrutiny for
batching non local stuff with their local stuff and passing it off. I don't
think that is widespread, I don't think it is dangerous. My point here is -
some people will try to cheat.

Honey under USDA supervision has rules in place for country or origin. I
have worked in the food industry under USDA inspectors, those guys don't
mess around. It is no skin off their nose if they close your plant down, or
make you recall a huge shipment. A large plant would be hard pressed to
sneak huge quantities of foreign honey into production past a USDA
inspector. Below is a link to the USDA:

http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/ams.fetchTemplateData.do?template=TemplateU&navID=&page=Newsroom&resultType=Details&dDocName=STELPRDC5078095&dID=115447&wf=false&description=USDA+Revises+Regulations+to+Include+Country+of+Origin+Labeling+of+Honey+&topNav=Hom

That is not to say that it couldn't happen with USDA inspected honey. But
damning the entire commercial honey industry without proof that the product
is contaminated is pretty rude. Which is more important - that the honey is
safe, or that it is from the US?

Randell Raye