[Sca-cooks] Floating in my vinegar

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Mon Nov 28 05:16:25 PST 2011

Maybe it's this:
"The mother (which contains the essential bacteria needed to turn wine
into vinegar) will appear in unpasteurized vinegars that may be right
there in your pantry. It looks like a spongy, gelatinous disk (follows
the shape of the bottle) near the bottom of the vinegar – and may
cause you to think that the vinegar has spoiled – but the vinegar is
still good, and when the mother is exposed to air in an unsealed
container (one that allows air to reach the liquid) the reaction
(growth) will begin that will turn wine, added to that mother, into
vinegar."
http://www.melindalee.com/index.php?option=com_garyscookbook&Itemid=6&func=detail&id=123

see also
http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/the-virtue-of-homemade-vinegar