[Sca-cooks] Is it US Honey?

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Sun Nov 13 14:08:56 PST 2011

On 11/13/2011 9:39 AM, David Friedman wrote:
> At Thu, 10 Nov 2011 09:26:18 -0800, Laureen Hart wrote:
>>
>> OK, so they didn't find the pollen, the big manufactures have a better
>> ability to filter than your average farmer's market supplier.
> My reaction, when I first came across a version of the story with the headline "Tests Show Most Store Honey isn't Honey," was that the headline was evidence of the willingness of journalists to distort the facts for the purpose of sensation and sales. "Tests Show Most Store Honey Has Had the Pollen Filtered Out" wouldn't have made it to a link on Google News.
>
> David/Cariadoc

Ok, the headlines are written by who knows who, and the stories are
hyperinflated. However, these facts remain:

The honey they're concerned with has been super-filtered- it has been
heated, and everything including the pollens have been filtered out.

The pollens are important in part because they actually have health
benefits. But the BIG FREAKING DEAL about the pollen filtration is that
the pollens are markers- something like serial numbers. Examining the
pollens is how you determine the origin of the honey, which is needful
for knowing the adulterants or contaminants that may be present in the
honey. (China is a big offender in the contaminant department, and lot
of the imported honey we get is Chinese.)

Would you download software that had no provenance, or open an
attachment that you didn't recognize the sender? That is basically the
status of this honey. A great deal of the honey sold here in the states
is this super-filtered honey. Honey that we do not know the origin of,
and have no way of knowing. There's also the issues of adulteration
after it arrives here- there are samples that have turned up that are
not all honey, but are cut with HFCS.

Dunno about the rest of you, but I want to know where my honey has come
from, and I know that I want to know that it's actually honey, and not
flavored HFCS. Don't scrape off the serial numbers and tell me that the
origin is immaterial.

Liutgard

--
"It is our choices Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."  -Albus Dumbledore