[Sca-cooks] Sour syrup?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Wed Nov 16 10:00:40 PST 2011

> <<< Sure -- Vienna Codex 2644, and Latin Codex 9333. ?In both cases,
> about 3/4 of the way through. ?I currently have on loan a copy of the
> original Arabic with a French translation, so I checked that as well  --
> entry 258 (???) is sekanjabin in Arabic and is translated as  oxymel. ?The
> original Arabic version is not illustrated.
>
> -- Galefridus >>>
>
> Really? With all the sugar, especially enough to make a syrup, I  wouldn't
> have thought of sekanjabin as *sour* syrup. It has been a  while since
> I've made some, though.
>
> Stefan

You are assuming the modern usage with the meaning of a thick, sweet liquid.
The word derives from the Arabic, "sharab" meaning drink or beverage and
pops up in French in the 14th Century.  The translation as oxymel suggests
to me that this was thinner than what most of us think of as syrup.  Oxymel,
in its oldest usage, is a mixture of vinegar and honey cut with water.  It
was used as a field beverage by the Roman legions as it provides
electrolytes and calories.  Some of the Spec Ops guys experimented with it
in the 70's and found it was superior to plain water in field operations.
The honey cuts the acidic taste, but oxymel isn't a sweet drink.

Bear