[Sca-cooks] Turkeys

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sun Nov 27 16:44:15 PST 2011

The Aztecs had domesticated turkeys (M. gallopavo gallopavo AKA South
Mexican Wild Turkey) and it was from this stock that the first turkeys were
imported into Europe.  We don't know how widespread raising turkeys was, so
the introduction of the turkey into Europe could have occurred from about
1510 to 1528 (Cortez's first return to Spain).  The actual date is likely
between 1520 and 1527, after the Spanish took over the Aztec empire.  The
key point is the turkey was already being farmed and it was introduced as an
animal to be farmed.

There is at least one record of a farmer being paid to raise turkeys for a
noble table.  And there is a record of expenses for one on Catherine de
Medici's feasts where the turkeys were priced much lower than any of the
large wild birds (I covered this in more detail some time ago, so the
reference may already be in the Florilegium).

At least one source has stated that the English brought domesticated turkeys
to the New World before they encountered the Eastern Woodland Turkey (M.
gallopavo silvestris).  I haven't traced that back to a contemporary
reference yet.

Bear