[Sca-cooks] beer/ale, cheese soup

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Sat Oct 15 15:17:42 PDT 2011

If beer isn't an essential ingredient, there's Platina's pottage from meat (very likely also from Martino), which is an old favorite of ours.

Potage from Meat
Platina p. 116 (book 7) (Good)

Take lean meat and let it boil, then cut it up finely and cook it again for half an hour in rich juice, having first added bread crumbs. Add a little pepper and saffron.
When it has cooled a little, add beaten eggs, grated cheese, parsley, marjoram, finely chopped mint with a little verjuice. Blend them all together in a pot, stirring them slowly with a spoon so that they do not form a ball. The same may be done with livers and lungs.

2 ⅓ lb stewbeef     1 ½ c grated cheese
4 c water          ⅜ c parsley
2 ½ c beef broth     1 t fresh marjoram
1 ½ c bread crumbs  1 ½ T fresh mint
¾ t pepper        6 T verjuice
8 threads saffron    [1 t salt (to taste)]
5 eggs

Bring meat and water to a boil and cook 10 minutes; take meat out and cut up small; put back in water with broth, bread crumbs, pepper, and saffron. Simmer ½ hour over low flame, being careful that it does not stick. Mix in remaining ingredients; the herbs should be chopped. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes. This makes about 10 cups.
This is a rather meat-rich version; it also works with as little as half this much meat.