[Sca-cooks] schmalz, butter-

Susanne Mayer susanne.mayer5 at chello.at
Thu Oct 20 12:01:22 PDT 2011

Hello all, again way behind (about 72 unread digests,...)

Uh, yes "(butter-)schmalz" is still a term used today, it is clarified
buter.   Sometimes Schmalz it is just used by itself and jsut from the rest
of the Text you have to find out what is meant. Schmalz (which seems to stem
from "schmelzen"  = melting, as it DOES mean the resolidified fat melted
from solids) does have different meanings in different cultural suroundings
also.As some of us just know it as pure chicken or goosefat, others think
purely of pigs fat and if you take the term "Schmalz-gebeäck" wich denotes
mostly fat fried sweet dough it can be done in pigs fat or, much better for
sweets, in clarified butter.
just my 2 cents

Katharina
Drachenwald.