[Sca-cooks] Non-Period Food for Non-Vigil

Genevieve de Lironcourt ladygenevieve at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 06:13:37 PDT 2011

I love bacon wrapped dates.

Split dates in half and remove pit.  In a half a date place a small slice of
cream cheese and a pecan half.
Wrap in a half strip of bacon and use a toothpick to secure.  Bake at 375
until bacon is crisped.  I've found it best to put on a cooling rack on top
of a sheet pan so the fat can render off and drip down.

They work well at room temp or even slightly chilled.

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 6:58 AM, Ana Valdés <agora158 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Goza (japanese ravioli) are nice fingerfood and can be cooked in two
> minuts.
> Edamame beans are great snacks, marinaated tofu is cool and easy to
> prepare.
> Good to sake :)
> Ana
>
> On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 1:49 PM, <lilinah at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > A friend with a Japanese persona is getting Laureled at Twelfth Night.
> This
> > is one of only two non-camping Kingdom events, being held in a hotel (the
> > other is our Collegium, usually held in a school). She is not having an
> SCA
> > vigil, which she thinks is not appropriate for Pelicans or Laurels
> anyway,
> > and definitely not for her persona. Instead she wants a nice little
> party.
> >
> > She doesn't care if the food is not period and not Japanese, although
> > either is OK. She just wants stuff non-foodie people will enjoy. She's
> > planning to buy some decent sake and some good quality mochi from a local
> > Japanese sweet shop. Otherwise, i am doing the food.
> >
> > I am at somewhat of a loss for what dishes to have. I want stuff that
> isn't
> > too messy - not too much potential for dripping or staining. It needs to
> be
> > prepared elsewhere. We can bring coolers, but we can't exactly cook in
> the
> > hotel room, although i do have a crock pot and can borrow more.
> >
> > I throw myself upon the collective wisdom for suggestions.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
> >

> --
> http://www.twitter.com/caravia15851
> http://www.scoop.it/t/art-and-activism/
> http://www.scoop.it/t/food-history-and-trivia
> http://www.scoop.it/t/gender-issues/
> http://www.scoop.it/t/literary-exiles/
> http://www.scoop.it/t/museums-and-ethics/
> http://www.scoop.it/t/urbanism-3-0
> http://www.scoop.it/t/postcolonial-mind/
>
> mobil/cell +4670-3213370
>

> "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with
> your
> eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long
> to return.
> — Leonardo da Vinci

The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.