[Sca-cooks] Quince juice

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Sat Oct 15 15:17:55 PDT 2011

At Fri, 14 Oct 2011 04:02:27 +0000 (GMT), galefridus at optimum.net wrote:
Someone had asked whether there were any other recipes calling for quince juice. I looked up every indexed occurrence
of the word "quince," but I didn't find any others. Many things that have quince in them, including several drinks, but only
one food using the juice.

Here's one from the Andalusian cookbook:

Safarjaliyya, a Dish Made With Quinces
Andalusian p. A-48

This is a good food for the feverish, it excites the appetite, strengthens the stomach and prevents stomach vapors from rising to the head. Take the flesh of a young fat lamb or calf; cut in small pieces and put in the pot with salt, pepper, coriander seed, saffron, oil and a little water; put on a low fire until the meat is done; then take as much as you need of cleaned peeled quince, cut in fourths, and sharp vinegar, juice of unripe grapes [verjuice] or of pressed quince, cook for a while and use. If you wish, cover with eggs and it comes out like muthallath.

David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com
daviddfriedman.blogspot.com/