[Sca-cooks] peas vs. beans

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Fri Oct 21 16:05:00 PDT 2011

I'm far removed from my references at the moment, but I would suggest taking
a look in Pliny's Natural Histories for a basic take on beans and peas in
Antiquity.  That being said, the terms "pea" and "bean" are not
scientifically precise and may through usage apply to various seeds that are
not taxonomically peas or beans.  The black-eyed pea, for example, is called
a pea in English, but is placed with beans in Italian, and being a member of
genus Vigna is truly neither a pea nor a bean but is related to both.

For differentiation in most of period, I believe you will find that most of
the peas available were of the sort that divide in two producing split peas,
while the beans retained their unity.

If you want to duck the entire issue, divide the collection of messages by
age and label them "legumes-1-msg", "legumes-2-msg", etc.

Bear