[Sca-cooks] Sausage & Apple Pie

Daniel Myers dmyers at medievalcookery.com
Tue Oct 4 07:37:02 PDT 2011

It's hard to be sure, but it looks like a modern recipe to me.  The use
of nutmeg would put it at late-medieval.

The closest medieval recipe I could find in a quick search was a German
one for an apple pie with beef marrow, or a 1604 French recipe for
sausage and apple stew.

75 Another apple tart. Peel the apples, slice them and roast them, cut
the cores cleanly out. Chop them small beforehand and put beef marrow
thereon and grated bread crumbs. Stir it together well, stir into it
also cinnamon, sugar and raisins and let it bake.
[Das Kuchbuch der Sabina Welserin, (Germany, 16th century - V.
Armstrong, trans.)]

Sausages in Pottage. Take sausages, & fry them in butter, then take four
or five peeled apples & cut into small quarters, & four or five onions
cut into rings, & fry them in butter, & put all of them into a pot with
the sausages, & put therein nutmeg, cinnamon, with red or white wine,
sugar, & let them then all stew.
[Ouverture de Cuisine, (France, 1604 - Daniel Myers, trans.)]

- Doc