[Sca-cooks] Sausage & Apple Pie

wheezul at canby.com wheezul at canby.com
Wed Oct 5 11:28:50 PDT 2011

Just a wee note on Heathens cakes:  I strongly suspect that this title
implies the dough is made out of buckwheat.  I used to think that this
term didn't make much sense until I read a definition in a glossary for
heidenkuchen (heathen cakes) as being made from heiden/hedydenkorn which
is buckwheat.  I've also found an herbal entry for heidenkorn showing
buckwheat.  Perhaps buckwheat is called 'heathen' because it is dark in
color. In France today buckwheat is still known as noir blé (black wheat)
or sarrazin (Saracen).  I couldn't say for sure if this recipe is using
buckwheat, but based on the other early written recipes for heidenkuchen,
it would be my guess that it is so.  I wonder how it would change the
taste of the final product?

Katherine B