[Sca-cooks] peas vs. beans

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Oct 13 18:49:00 PDT 2011

I asked:
<<< So what determines whether something is considered a bean and when
it is considered a pea? Now and in period? >>>

To which Ranvaig answered in part:
<<< Beans are of the genus Phaseolus.
Peas are of the genus Pisum.

peas have tendrils and beans do not

peas have a hollow stem and beans have a solid stem.

In general peas have slick vines and beans have hairy vines that enable
them to cling.

Bean is used for a lot of different
things and usually tagged by shape.

Thanks. I didn't know of these differences. But since most people
don't mention these differences when talking about beans and peas, I
guess I'm just going to depend upon the word they use in their
messages to determine where a message should go. It's also a concern
where readers might go when looking for something.

<<< In period, it will depend on the language too.  Or are you only
asking about English? >>>

That does bring up some interesting questions.

Was this difference between peas and beans used in period in English?

Do other languages make a distinction between the two? Now or in period?

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris