[Sca-cooks] Early Period varieties of vegetables

Tre trekatz at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 25 11:26:37 PDT 2012

I looked in the florilegium and didn't see anything...but I may have missed it.

I'm trying to find varieties of several vegetables that would be at least close to the viking/anglo-saxon varieties.

I already found a source for purple carrots, so plan to use those.

I'm looking at Cabbage, and thinking of possibly using kale instead of modern cabbage, as some of what I'm seeing says that early cabbage was more leafy and less head.

I know several of my recipes call specifically for leeks, and that isn't a problem, but other recipes call for onions, and I was wondering what variety might be closest to what was available.

Has anyone done research into this, or have any ideas as to where I could find the information?