[Sca-cooks] Early Period varieties of vegetables

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Wed Apr 25 15:53:48 PDT 2012

I presume you saw the article
"Medieval and Renaissance Cookery, Cookbooks, and Foods from
Scandinavia" which
was published last fall in the Gauntlet.
Works that examine plants and were listed therein include:

Medieval Food Traditions in Northern Europe. Edited by Sabine Karg.
Copenhagen: National Museum of Denmark, 2007. (National Museum Studies
in Archaeology & History volume 12.) Botanical lists of plants gleaned
from various sites. Hanseatic Germany, Estonia, and Northern Poland;
medieval Finland; Sweden and the Hanse; also medieval Denmark; and
Norway.
Banham, Debby. Food and Drink in Anglo-Saxon England. Stroud,
Gloucestershire: Tempus, 2004.
Hagen, Ann. Anglo-Saxon Food and Drink. Hockwold cum Wilton, Norfolk,
England: Anglo-Saxon Books, 2006. Combined one volume version of: A
Handbook of Anglo-Saxon Food: Processing and Consumption, 1992, and A
Second handbook of Anglo-Saxon Food & Drink : Production &
Distribution, 1995. Hagen works are classics that are widely cited.

Have you contacted or been in touch with other early period groups?
Regia Anglorum provides articles on the Viking period http://www.regia.org/listings.htm
  as do the email lists maintained by Vikings-NA http://www.vikingsna.com/
  and The Vikings. http://www.vikingsonline.org.uk/

  Johnnae