[Sca-cooks] My new Crusade

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Apr 7 23:08:14 PDT 2012

Aelina Vester-lunder asked:
<<< 3. Curing/ Preservation methods especially for meat. There is a
myth that Medieval English hung out meat to rot before serving. I
believe they misunderstood this as part of a curing/aging technique. >>>

We have had some discussions on curing of meat. Perhaps this
Florilegium file might be of interest:
meat-aging-msg (20K) 1/10/08 The aging of meat to tenderize it in
period and today.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/meat-aging-msg.html

On your topic as a whole, there might be some good references
mentioned in this file:

rotten-meat-msg (50K) 5/19/06 Comments on the "they used spices to
cover the taste of rotten meat" myth.

http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/rotten-meat-msg.html

Stefan

--------