[Sca-cooks] medieval jerky

Rachel & Doug glenheather at knology.net
Mon Apr 9 14:30:51 PDT 2012

Greetings, everyone!

I am working on a project involving medieval beef jerky.  I found an
excellent recipe for "Dried Beef" in "Soup for the Qan" and have already
redacted it.  There is also a recipe for smoked meat in the 1616 Dutch text,
but it only directs that the meat be smoked with beech wood.  Now I'm
looking for other sources.  I'm trying to chase down descriptions of
pastirma and tassal, but I haven't had much luck.

Does anyone here know of any extant recipes or descriptions for dried beef?

Thanks in advance,
Ailleagan