[Sca-cooks] Vinegar circa 9th c. CE + musk

Tre trekatz at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 21 00:16:37 PDT 2012

While I don't know specifically about wine vinegar, I had an interesting experience with cider vinegar recently.

My husband makes cider and we had a batch go to vinegar, so I saved it to use for some of my SCA cooking. I made a cucumber salad for a recent event which I've made before with commercial cider vinegar. Usually, if I soak the cucumbers longer than a few hours, it comes out very tart. This time, using our homemade vinegar, I soaked them for several days, and still had some sweetness left. I was actually worried about it a bit, because the vinegar was MUCH sweeter than commercial vinegar...but it worked out really well.

Also, as far as thinning a recipe with wine to cut the vinegar, that's how we fixed a sauce that I made that was too tart. We thinned it with white wine and got a good flavor.