[Sca-cooks] [MR] War of the "Wings" - An Edible Challenge

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Apr 24 22:27:36 PDT 2012

My reply to the challenge on the Atlantia list.

Again, I'd be interested in your comments, and particularly your
suggestions for period sauces which might stand up to the modern
sauces I expect to see in this contest. We are, after all, a medieval
group not a modern bbq cookoff group.  Could a good medieval based
sauce stand up against modern chicken-wing sauces?  I've seen a wide
variety of those in the few chicken-wing restaurants I've been in.

Stefan
------

<<< The wings will all be cooked the same way to ensure that the
competition is about the sauce itself. They will be pre-baked and then
thrown on the grill to get heated up.

Murienne >>>

Is there a category for just period sauces?

If not, it might be an interesting category for next time.

For those who might find it interesting to doing period wings, here
are some Florilegium files which might be of interest and of use in
documenting the period recipe(s) used.

camelne-sauce-msg (36K)  7/25/11  Sauces w. cinnamon as a major
component.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-CONDIMENTS/camelne-sauce-msg.html

garlic-sauces-msg (53K)  8/19/10  Various period garlic sauces. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-CONDIMENTS/garlic-sauces-msg.html

green-sauces-msg  (24K)  2/ 5/12  Period green sauces. Sauces of green
herbs.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-CONDIMENTS/green-sauces-msg.html

mustard-msg      (192K)  7/24/11  Mustard seed in period. sauces.
recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-CONDIMENTS/mustard-msg.html

sauces-msg       (164K)  2/ 5/12  Period sauces. Sauce recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-CONDIMENTS/sauces-msg.html

horseradish-msg (60K) 1/28/09 Period use of horseradish. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PLANTS/horseradish-msg.html

These would certainly be different from the huge number of bbq and
tomato sauces I expect to see in this contest. If you do enter a
version using a period sauce, I'd love to hear how it works out. Being
in Ansteorra, it's a bit too far for me to make this event.

Remember if you are afraid that period sauces can't be spicy or hot
enough, measurements are seldom given in period recipes, so you can
add more spice until you think there is enough. :-)  And some spices
such as horseradish and ginger can be plenty hot.

The recipes in this file probably include cooking the chicken, and not
just making the sauce, but again, the idea is to bring some variety
using a cheap meat source and perhaps you might wish to try these
sometime.
chicken-legs-msg   (8K)  5/14/09  Period dishes using (inexpensive)
chicken legs
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/chicken-legs-msg.html

Stefan
--------