[Sca-cooks] Early Period varieties of vegetables

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Thu Apr 26 03:08:57 PDT 2012

All in all. this is probably the most complete and accurate collection of
carrot information on the web.  John works from a wide range of scientific
and historic sources and provides reference to many of those sources.  He is
constantly in the process of finding new information and adding it to his
site.  I've found some flaws between his general introduction and his
specific data, but no worse than some I've found in professional academic
writing.

In the case you are citing, both statements can be correct as there is no
differention here between the varietals.  The midden find, from time and
place, is almost certainly Queen Anne's Lace.  There is some question as to
when colored carrots arrived in England, but some suthorities will back an
early 14th Century introduction.  The early red/orange varietals that became
our modern carrot were introduced to England in the 15th Century.

Bear