[Sca-cooks] Fish scales for aspic

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Apr 23 19:04:28 PDT 2012

Ranvaig said:

<<< Rumpolt has a couple of recipes for aspic, where you begin with a
broth made by boiling the fish scales with isinglass and an onion
skin.  The onion skin is presumably for color.  It's sieved in a
woolen cloth before using for the aspic.

The net has recipes for fish cooked with the scales (which are not
eaten) but I didn't see anything for cooking the scales alone.  Has
anyone ever seen recipes that call for cooking the fish scales?  What
would this be adding the broth?  Color, thickening, flavor? >>>

I don't remember fish scales specifically, but here is some previous
discussion we've had on aspics.

aspic-msg         (48K)  9/ 7/04  Notes on aspic, a meat-base gelatin.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/aspic-msg.html

Stefan

--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com