[Sca-cooks] Early Period varieties of vegetables

Tre trekatz at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 25 23:03:16 PDT 2012

I have considered grains, actually, and at least as far as breads go I'm buying or baking specialty breads to get at least closer to period. There are some small bakeries here who use old recipes and locally grown specialty wheat and other grains.

I'm also looking at the possibility of getting "rare breeds" meat for the feast, while I have it available. I found a company who generally only sells to restaurants/caterers, but were willing to sell to me in the past as I ordered a sufficient quantity.

I'm going to work the math for this feast much more than usual, so I can get the higher quality ingredients where possible. I have a tendency to over-buy, and can't afford to do that with specialty ingredients.