[Sca-cooks] Watermelon gazpacho

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 15:44:06 PDT 2012

St Philip wrote:
> So, I ate at one of the restaurants at Pennsic, ordered Gazpacho, and
> got this. I discussed the possibility of this actually being a period
> type of dish wirth Cariadoc and Elizabeth, and with Brighid, since
> both Gazpacho and watermelons are period, but we came to  no firm
> conclusions. Anybody want to look at the evidence for this being a
> possibly period variant? It certainly tasted good ;-)
>
> http://imgur.com/gallery/z1e5h
I do not understand German but medieval "gazpacho" is still found in
Valencia today and watermelon cannot be further from the pot. My in-laws
are Valencian. The original gazpacho consists of veggies available on
the family estate and whatever the lord of the house or his servants
hunt early in the morning - mostly rabbit in our case. It is cooked all
morning and served with alli-oli and Arab flat bread especially baked by
the women from the village nearby who prepare and bake it in the bread
ovens on my father-in-law's estate. We celebrate the "gazpachada" on the
first week-end in September - it is a bit like the harvest festival
especially as "the family" now consists of some 150 direct descendants
of my father-in-law and spouses.
This tradition also coincides with the celebrations of the Moors against
the Christians when men dress up and "fight" each other in the villages
near-by. During the day is in the evenings we go to watch the parades
and "fighting."
By the way, when my kids went to school in the states, their friends
were surprised they did not know about cowboys and Indians. They had to
explain that in our land its the Moors and the Chrisitans!
Suey