[Sca-cooks] Interesting scientific article processed foods/ absorption

Raphaella DiContini raphaellad at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 28 08:43:28 PDT 2012

I found this article fascinating and thought some of you might as well. It talks about how our bodies absorb what we take in and how that can impact our effective caloric intake, and simple things like how completely cooked or ground can make a big change in how acessible the nutrients & calories are to our bodies. I also found it very interesting that an earlier study found that there is bigger physiological differences that effect how we digest things as well "Back when it was the craze to measure such variety European scientists discovered that Russian intestines are about five feet longer than those of, say, Italians. This means that those Russians eating the same amount of food as the Italians likely get more out of it."

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/2012/08/27/the-hidden-truths-about-calories/

In joyous service,
Raffaella