[Sca-cooks] Norse beverages

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Aug 29 21:08:33 PDT 2012

<<< I dont suppose you have anything on norse drink... I've been asked to
teach a class on it [snort] but I'm coming up blank on any credible info… >>>

I'm not sure. You might try doing a search in some of the general beverage files for words like "Norse" or "Viking".

The search engine for the whole Florilegium doesn't seem to be working, but it works if you copy the link into a new window and execute it from there.

Are you interested in just Scandinavia or are you also including Iceland and Russia?

While I doubt it was imported or brought back to Scandinavia, there is kvass:
kvass-msg (78K) 4/18/10 Russian drink made from bread or grains.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/BEVERAGES/kvass-msg.html

fd-Iceland-msg (96K) 1/ 6/11 Food of medieval Iceland. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BY-REGION/fd-Iceland-msg.html

Take a look here. I might have put some beverage stuff in here:
fd-Norse-msg (66K) 3/16/08 Norse and Viking food.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BY-REGION/fd-Norse-msg.html

In the NORSE section:
N-drink-trad-art (18K) 7/31/98 "Norse Drinking Traditions" by Gunnora
Hallakarva.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/NORSE/N-drink-trad-art.html

Norse-food-art (8K) 7/26/94 Article on what the Norse ate.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/NORSE/Norse-food-art.html

You might also do a search on the "Viking Answer Lady", Mistress Gunnora's website and see what she has there.

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris