[Sca-cooks] To cat or not to cat

Christiane christianetrue at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 2 11:33:05 PDT 2012

>On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 12:37 PM, Deborah Hammons
><mistressaldyth at gmail.com> wrote:
>> If you have ever seen rabbit hanging in a butcher shop and been able to
>> compare it to cat, without the head and tail and feet on, they are just
>> about identical.  In fact when I lived in Spain, the local butcher insisted
>> on keeping those parts ON so his customers were confident in their meat
>> selection.
>
>There's an old Spanish proverb, "vender gato for liebre" (to sell cat as hare).
>
>Brighid ni Chiarain

Here's an article from CNN, back in 2010, which attests that in Tuscany, they did eat cat meat during WWII:

http://articles.cnn.com/2010-02-24/world/italy.chef.cat_1_cat-sanctuary-pet-cat-cat-many-times?_s=PM:WORLD

In Genoese dialect, cat is known as "levre de cuppi" (in Italian, "lepre di tegole,") rabbit of the roof tiles, and is referred to in a folk song:

http://wanderingitaly.com/blog/article/604/italian-music-creuza-de-mae-and-roof-tile-rabbits

Butchers in Genoa have to keep the heads and tails on their rabbits, to show customers that they are not selling cat.

YIS,
Adelisa Salernitana