[Sca-cooks] any advice for someone starting a cook's group?

Euriol of Lothian euriol at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 14 08:07:23 PDT 2012

Having just recently started one myself and having been in others, ask those who are interested what they are looking to get out of participating in a Cook's Group. And then gear the group about those needs. It's not a one size fits all model from local groups to Kingdom Cook's Guilds.

My current local group is very new to period cooking, so I provide an ingredient list for our monthly gathers and people sign up to bring some of the ingredients and I provide the recipes. We then discuss and cook the recipes together. We just spent the last few months (we meet monthly) working on all the recipes I will be cooking for the Shire's big event at the end of next month.

Groups with cooks more experienced in cooking with medieval recipes may be working with translations and redactions.

Euriol