[Sca-cooks] Bakers borax again

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sun Aug 19 07:47:09 PDT 2012

E.J. Brill's First Encyclopedia of Islam 1913-1936, list several other types
of "borax."  Obviously, borax is being used as a generic name for a number
of naturally occurring compounds rather than as a specific mineral, sodium
borate.  The translator is correct, as far as the translator goes.

As for natron, the primary constituent is soda ash, sodium carbonate, which
is a natural water softener.  There are modern bread recipes which call for
both yeast and buraq, suggesting to me that it may be the water softening
properties that are desired.  As a generalization, soft water makes better
bread.  At 17 percent, you would need roughly 2 Tablespoons of natron to get
1 teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate, so again I would think that the intent was
to soften the water with the added benefit of a little chemical leavening.

Bear