[Sca-cooks] charoset

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 14:56:45 PDT 2012

Susan Lin wrote:
> I have made this before - I used to teach religious school and I made it
> for my 7th graders when I taught:  Jewish Food Traditions.
>
> Did you add the vinegar to the recipe?  It's not supposed to go into the
> charoset but to be sprinkled on top.  If it is too soupy then strain it as
> Guenievre suggested and then add some additional nuts and dates - it should
> be sticky but not soupy.  Then moisten your hands and roll into balls, roll
> in the sugar and put in a dish and sprinkle the vinegar over - it is a very
> interesting taste.
>
> Shoshanah
I am terrible about following my own concoctions! I completely forgot
the vinegar!
Thank you so much for your suggestions.
When ready to give this recipe another go this pm, the Sca daily post
was not yet on line.
Yesterday, in desperation, I added more chestnuts, dates and almonds to
the recipe but I forgot fry the almonds. Today, when I retrieved the
mixture from the frig, it was still too soggy for rolling. On line I
found suggestions like adding matzoh dough. In an attempt to avoid a
quick run to the supermarket, I put the mass in a saucepan for one last
try and mashed it around for 1/2 hr squeezing out the humidity from the
mass. Then I let it cool and refrigerated it again for an hour or so.
Then I had the right consistency to roll it.
So my adaption of Gitlitz' recipe will be published in my blog "castaña"
on 6 September. I like it. I will try a splash of vinegar tomorrow. . .
In the meantime, this pm, I made "Moorish Gourds" found in Nola. Its an
otherwise boring recipe for fall gourds and onion soppes, which comes to
life with the last minute editions of beaten eggs and cheese. -It is so
good! That recipe will be published on 5 September in the blog called
"cascauallo."
Of late, I like my recipes: http://www.medievalspanishchef.com/
I cannot tell you often enough that this adventure is a far cry from the
movie Julia and Julie. I made one recipe 3 times before figuring out
that is was a meringue. - One thinks he is fine beginning the week with
3 doz eggs but when meringue disasters occur over and over, I feel like
Apicius going bankrupt rotten eggs . . . !!!
Thank you all for your support and following,
Suey
How about you?