[Sca-cooks] To cat or not to cat

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Thu Aug 2 12:56:26 PDT 2012

The author Ronald Searle was in Singapore when it fell to the Japanese early in 1942. He spent the rest of the WWII in a POW camp.
I read his memoir about his experiences Ronald Searle: To the Kwai and Back, War Drawings 1939-1945 and remember quite vividly that he described that they ate a cat and her kittens for Christmas Day the one year. It was the first meat they had had for months. He weighed at one point only 6 stone or 84 pounds. I wouldn't begrudge anyone eating anything they could get their hands on under such circumstances.

Johnnae