[Sca-cooks] Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 76, Issue 4

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Thu Aug 2 14:28:16 PDT 2012

This is the most recent infamous incident about eating cats in Italy.  "Beppe Bigazzi, a 77-year-old food writer and ten-year veteran guest on the Italian cooking show La Prova del Cuoco, was dropped from the show after offering up a recipe (kinda) for stewed cat--a "succulent dish," in his words, and a classic preparation from his home in Valdarno, Tuscany."

http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/voracious/2010/02/cat_stew_how_to_get_fired_as_a.php

http://news.sky.com/story/759546/television-chef-in-a-stew-over-cat-casserole

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/unleashed/2010/02/beppe-bigazzi-italian-cooking-host-cat-stew.html

Johnnae

On Aug 2, 2012, at 5:10 PM, Christiane wrote: snipped  Incidentally, all of the mentions of cat eating in traditional cuisines in Italy I have found have been from northern Italy; nothing from southern Italy (which had all the Jews and Muslims, who both consider cat meat unclean - since there's no tradition of cat eating that I an find my guess is that despite Latinization and religious conversion, certain cultural mores from those two populations persisted).