[Sca-cooks] To cat or not to cat

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Fri Aug 3 15:02:37 PDT 2012

Individually, it's not a big issue.  However, there are many individuals who
have no experience with subsistence hunting and fishing and are squeamish
about eating critters that might have names.  Collectively, they out number
the subsistence hunters and have created laws and organizations to help
enforce their views as societal norms.

Had the woman who is considering cooking a cat as an A&S project, simply
done it, she alone would be responsible and any legal complaint or social
fall out would land on her.  Instead, she is trying to bring others into her
project, a project that they find offensive and with which they do not wish
to be associated, which can place them, against their will, in the path of
legal and social outrage.  As for the SCA, consider the wonderful PR to be
found in the headline "PETA Pickets Pennsic."

Since her actions could have legal and social reprecussions and damage the
SCA and the membership individually or collectively, the Kingdom Seneschal
has the authority to prohibit a cat cooking demonstration under the auspices
of the SCA, especially if the demo violates health or animal safety
regulations.  There is also the point, that since some people in the SCA
have an almost religious love of cats worthy of a worshipper of Bastet,
carving up a cat at an event might fall under the general prohibition on
magic and religion.

Bear