[Sca-cooks] medieval/renaissance architectural construction crews & related food references

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Tue Aug 14 06:24:12 PDT 2012

> Bear wrote:
>
> Any guild might have a guild banquet, but it would have been for masters
>> and high value journeymen of the guild and likely would serve as a forum
>> for internal guild politics.
>>

> This intrigues me. Do you happen to know if we have record of what was
> served at any of these banquets?

I haven't encountered any of the guild banquet menus that I can remember and
few references to them.  I suspect the recipes would be similar to what is
found in Menagier.

>> Consider also, that an engineer, such as Leonardo Da Vinci, would likely
>> be a member of the household of his patron during a project, while a
>> master
>> craftsman and his assistants would likely be hired for the project, but
>> not
>> be part of the household.
>>

> Hmm. This too interests me. I'd be interested in looking into the patron
> house of Da Vinci in general. I wonder if there are food references here
> too? :)
>
> Iasmin

Da Vinci was a Florentine (a republic under Medici control) and had a
workshop in that city (at least when he was there) that appears to have been
seperate from any patronage.  His earliest patron was Ludovico il Moro of
Milan and he served a number of patrons in Rome, Bologna and Venice, among
them Cesare Borgia and Pope Leo X, before taking his final post in the court
of Francis I of France.  I don't recall any food references in what I've
read of his works.

Bear