[Sca-cooks] Documentation, was Bullpucky

Kathleen Roberts karobert at unm.edu
Tue Aug 14 13:12:45 PDT 2012

I recently did a Rumpbolt cooking entry, which included head cheese.  I love head cheese.  Two of my judges did not.  The documentation warned them it was made with toes and tails and snouts and doubts (with some pork loin thrown in).

One basically said "I don't like it and food should taste good so I have to dock you on it".  The other basically said "Well, I will be honest, I would not eat this again, but I am glad I got to try it.  Based on what I am reading it looks like it turned out the way it should have, so good work."

Go figure.  At least the one (who does not consider herself a cook) could see what I was getting at with it.  The other (who fancies herself a cook) was very close minded.

Documentation should not be so scholarly that it confuses the judge who is not so "into" that area as the presenter is.  You never know when someone was swooped off the street (so to speak) to fill in a judging area.  I remember being grabbed for map-making once just because I was a calligrapher and illuminator!
Side note:  The hunters at the event who tasted it loved it. ;)

Cailte

Kathleen Roberts
Admissions Advisor
University of New Mexico

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy."
W. B. Yeats
"The hand that rocks the ladle rules the world."
Nadia G.

>>> yaini0625 at yahoo.com> 8/14/2012 1:59 PM >> ( mailto:yaini0625 at yahoo.com )
 I presented a traditional Saami drink as a Pentathlon entry. It was milk preserved with angelica. I received severe low marks because it tasted sour. I even documented that it was going to taste sour and not candy sweet. To me it means I have to work harder in my explanations.